Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Using the UbD Template

As a math teacher, I found the UbD template difficult to use. It is hard to come up with essential questions that are debatable in the area of mathematics. Most of our lessons are content driven and focus on the learning of specific skills. While many problems have multiple solutions, there aren't many topics that inspire the type of ethical debates that can be sparked in other disciplines. Maybe the point of this exercise is to show us that this is he wrong way to teach. However, how can we stray from the content in an era of high stakes testing?

I also found it difficult to discern between the categories given. I felt that Understandings and what students will know were very similar. I also felt that the Established Goals were very similar to what I felt the students will be able to do after the lesson. Perhaps I am missing something. Did anyone else encounter similar troubles?

4 comments:

Nataly said...

yes, I agree, there is a lot of redundancy. Although I like the general ideaof UBD, I think the actual components are filled with traditional education jargon. I have found that simplicity is always the wisest and most affective. Thanks for pointing this out since I haven't read anyone else mention this now obvious to me fact!

mrsasso said...

I agree with you that topics in other subjects such as science, social studies, and language arts offer more debateable and deeper messages that make for great essential questions.Being a math teacher as well, I can relate to your perspective on this model. If the application process to the math skill can be utilized as the "essential question", then open ended questions and problem based learning could be the mathematics approach to this learning model.

lizette said...

I teach a period of resource math once a day and I try to avoid that class for the essential questions. I found out that if you look at the engagement of mathematics in their lives, then using UBD unfolds in an easier and meaningful way.

Prof. Bachenheimer said...

If kids can't see the "bigger meaning and purpose" for math, that might explain why many students (like I was in school) are dissaffected in math? What do you think?