Thursday, October 25, 2007

Online Classes

After completing three online classes, I must say that so far I enjoy the process. I like the freedom of being able to budget my own time and having the ability to interact with other students on my own terms. I find the videos to be very helpful and informative. I also really enjoy the use of technology. I am not a very technological person, so I have been forced to learn and use programs that I would never attempt to understand without this course. I feel that these experiences have allowed me to grow as both a teacher and a learner.

The one aspect of the online courses that I did not enjoy was the collaborative document. I felt that the process was very disjointed and that the paper did not flow properly. I also felt the process was too circular and lacked linearity. Many entries were changed, only to be changed back to what was originally stated. Perhaps if students were assigned specific times to edit the document, I would have seen more of a progression. I often felt as if my contributions were only temporary and in turn lost their value.

I would consider taking another course like this, but I would need to the format to be similar. To me, it is important to come back to class and meet face-to-face after each online class. I think face-to-face discussion is important so that any misunderstandings can be clarified. I do not believe that I would enjoy a class that was completely online.

1 comment:

M. Hewitt said...

I have to say that I think the online classes have pros and cons. I agree that being abel to budget our time makes the class a lot easier. I also learned a lot about using technology that I never knew. But, I also would like to meet in the class maybe a little more. Sometimes, I feel disconnected or even confused on certain assignments. In the end it was a psoitive experience and I am getting through it.