Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Final Thoughts

When I signed up for this class, I assumed I would be given several boring books written by people who died before I was born. I must say, I was pleasantly surprised. This class has truly pushed me to rethink my theories of education. I was amazed by some of the trends and statisitcs we studied in class. I cannot fully express how deeply I was impacted by the Shift Happens video we watched. As a result of this class, I have begun to reexamine what we teach and whether or not we are actually preparing our students for the future. Never before did I question the necessity of the major content areas. I have always just accepted the fact that students learn math, english, science, etc. Now I am beginning to see that it is possible that skills may be more important than content knowledge.

The curriculum project was also an eye-opening experience for me. I did not realize how much red tape exists in schools. It was unbelieveable to me how hard it was to gain access to information. Also, the degree of detail required in the budgeting process blew my mind. I can truly say that this class has given me valuable hands-on experience that will help in my quest to become an administrator.

No comments: